Oh, Reddit. When do you ever surprise me? Reddit is the type of website for people with dark humor. Subreddits that seem innocent enough, like r/jokes, can get a little iffy for people who get easily offended, or don't like those type of jokes. I'll get more in depth in a second, but here is an avid Reddit user's opinion on Reddit.
What is Dark Humor?
Lets start off with the question you're probably asking. Dark Humor is when people find humor in subjects that should most likely never be joked about. Almost everyone on Reddit has this type of humor. I'd say about 75% of Reddit has this. The other 25% is people who get easily offended and yell at people about how their jokes are "offensive" and how it "triggers" them. Don't be that person who gets offended on the internet.
Making an Account
Going back to the "Dark Humor", most people on Reddit have offensive names. You can sign up using your email, like most websites. It's your basic Username, Password, Email, and Captcha.
This is the main focus of the website. When you sign up you get these subreddits (it's a lot):
- r/nosleep (my favorite)
You can unsubscribe from any of these subreddits, and you can subscribe to other ones, too (like r/PS4).
Upvoting or Downvoting
This is basically Reddit's version of likes and dislikes. If you think a post or comment is relevant to the subreddit or subject, you can upvote it. If you don't think it's relevant, you can downvote it. Comments that have more upvotes appear at the to and comments with more downvotes appear at the bottom.
You can comment on posts like on YouTube or Facebook. You go under the post and type in the box. It automatically upvotes your comment when you post it so people have a chance of seeing it.
Posting (Text Posts and Links)
To post something, a subreddit usually has a "Submit a Text Post" or a "Submit a Link" button. Some subreddits, like r/minecraft, have the Submit button hidden in the rules, so you have to read the rules in order to post. You can only post once every ten minutes. That's a stupid feature, I know. But it stops people from spamming.
That is all you need to know about Reddit. Just make sure to not get easily offended, because you won't enjoy the website if you do. Have fun, and explore the site.